#hatespeech

"Star Wars" Actress Bullied Off Instagram By Racist, Sexist Facebook Group

Discrimination is discrimination. Hate speech is hate speech. So, in a way, it’s a swipe at all of us when anyone is targeted by bigoted bullying.

Last week, 29-year-old Kelly Marie Tran, who played Rose Tico, deleted her all of her Instagram posts after months of hateful, racist and sexist bullying from Star Wars “fans.” Rose is the first non-white female lead in the history of the franchise.

Taking credit for the bulk of the attacks against the actress is a Facebook group called “Down With Disney’s Treatment of Franchises and Its Fanboys,” which has since made itself private [seriously, why hasn’t Facebook removed the hate group entirely?]. Check it out, and try not to gag:

Here’s more from the post you can’t see in the screen cap:

“Now go out there and fight for Legends restoration, go out there and reverse this forced diversity, go out there and show them what real Star Wars fans look like. Bring back the Straight White Male Hero that isn’t manufactured by a corrupt corporation like Disney.”

This group is also behind a campaign in February to give Black Panther a “Rotten” audience score on Rotten Tomatoes.

On the positive side of things, since Tran deleted her photos last week, she’s gained over 50,000 new Insta followers. Celebrities have also shown an outpouring of support:

The best was from Stephen Colbert, who premiered a whole new Star Wars trailer dedicated to “broken hateful dweebs.” When addressing Tran’s racist cyber attackers, Colbert quipped, “It’s good to see Roseanne staying busy!” Zing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVpG1iC737c

Luke Skywalker himself Mark Hamill took a firm stand against the online bullies as well, posting a pic of him embracing Tran, with caption “What’s not to like? #GetALifeNerds”

Last Jedi helmer Rian Johnson dropped the word “manbabies.”

And on Tuesday, Tran’s co-star John Boyega posted this to Instagram.

This whole thing is just rotten to the core. These aren’t Star Wars fans; this is cyber-terrorism of the most cowardly kind. Star Wars is supposed to be all about bringing balance. Clearly, Star Wars has a fan problem.

Jason Statham Apologizes For Allegedly Using Homophobic Slurs On Set

Though we have no concrete evidence the incident actually occurred, Jason Statham has issued a public apology for allegedly using homophobic slurs on the set of his 2015 action film Wild Card.

The Fast & the Furious star, 50, has been accused of a rant laden with homophobic language in the midst of an argument with Steve Casman while shooting at Harrah’s Casino in New Orleans.

To repeat, as of yet we have no proof this conversation actually happened, but  British tabloid The Sun claims to have acquired a transcript of the conversation:

"Stop acting like a f...... f..," Statham reportedly said. "I hate that f....... f.... s.... Talking, whispering... you guys [are] acting like a bunch of f...... f....... If you want to tell me something, don't wait 'til I do 15 f....... takes before you say something. Stop being a f...... f.. and be more assertive.”

Statham apologized May 16 in a statement issued on Facebook:

"I have never heard the recording and my multiple requests to hear the recording have been refused. I have no recollection of making any of these offensive comments. However, let me be clear, the terms referenced are highly offensive."

"If I said these words, it was wrong and I deeply apologize. Anyone who knows me knows it doesn’t reflect how I feel about the LGBTQ community. While I cannot fix what was said in the past, I can learn from it and do better in the future.”

It’s worth noting that releasing the alleged audio could come with consequences. Under Louisiana’s Electronic Surveillance Act, recording a conversation without someone’s permission is strictly against the law. According to The New York Post, Statham’s legal team has implied legal action would be taken if such a tape were released.

For more: https://pagesix.com/2018/05/17/jason-statham-apologizes-for-allegedly-using-homophobic-slur/

Hate Speech-Ranting Manhattan Lawyer Just Lost His Office, Maybe His Job

As members of the LGBTQ+ community, we’ve all had hate speech directed at us, and we know just how violent it is. It is dehumanizing, and it can make us feel fundamentally unsafe.

So it’s hard not to find some satisfaction in how quickly things are crashing down around attorney Aaron Schlossberg, 44, who was seen shouting deplorable, racist remarks at the employees of a Midtown Manhattan Fresh Kitchen in a video that went viral on Wednesday.

“If you are running a place in Midtown Manhattan, your staff should be speaking English, not Spanish!” he yells in the vid. And that’s pretty much the nicest thing he said.

As the store’s young, overburdened manager attempted to quietly escort Schlossberg from the establishment, the ranting just got worse. In a loud voice that certainly was overheard by anyone in the Fresh Kitchen, Schlossberg threatened to call ICE to have each of the restaurant’s employees “kicked out of my country.”

It’s no wonder the upsetting video rapidly caught fire. What is somewhat surprising is how rapidly the fallout followed behind. For starters, Schlossberg has been kicked out of his Manhattan workspace. He had a Midtown office on Madison Avenue (right across the street from the Fresh Kitchen) for his private law firm, but has been banned from the premises.

Hayim Grant, president of Corporate Suites which operates the building, told The New York Post: “We have terminated his service agreements with us. His actions are just not consistent with our community and rules and regulations … It’s totally contrary to everything we believe in as a company and personally.”

Furthermore, Schlossberg might lose his job. Congressman Adriano Espaillat and Bronx Borough president Ruben Diaz Jr. served a formal complaint against Schlossberg to the New York State Unified Court System’s Departmental Disciplinary Committee. If the complaint is supported by the committee, Schlossberg’s law license could be revoked.

In one of the more gratifying and undeniably funny videos you’ll see this week, Schlossberg sprinted away from NBC News reporters on Thursday. Enjoy:

https://twitter.com/NBCNewYork/status/997214014378856450

Right now, it looks like this lawyer really needs to find a lawyer. The positive takeaway from this whole lamentable ordeal is that it suggests this kind of behavior is now more unacceptable than ever. It’s hard not to be curious about where Schlossberg’s saga will go from here.

For more about the Schlossberg fallout: https://nypost.com/2018/05/17/racist-lawyer-kicked-out-of-his-office-space/